The various definitions of Management are given below:
1. Louis Allen “Management is what manager does.”
2. F. W. Taylor “Management is knowing exactly what you want men to do and then seeing that they do it in the best and efficient way.”
3. Koontz and O’Donell “Management is defined as the Creation and maintenance of an internal environment in an enterprise where individuals working together in groups, can perform efficiently and effectively towards the attainment of group goals.”
4. Keith and Gubellini “Management is the force that integrates men and physical plant into an effective operating unit.”
5. Marry Parkar Follet “Management is the art of getting things done through people.”
Management Process is seen as a process of activities which can be divided into four distinct but integrated activities; Planning (Deciding what is to be done), Organizing (Deciding how it is to be done and who will do it), Leading (Influencing behaviors) and Controlling (To make sure that plans are carried out). Management can be represented in the form of a model as shown in the Figure.
Functions of Management:
- Determination of long and short range objectives.
- Development of strategies to achieve the objectives
- Formulation of action plans, policies and procedures for implementation of the strategies and plan.
- Identification of activities for the achievement of objectives and implementation of the plan.
- Job design (grouping of activities so as to create self contained jobs).
- Matching jobs and employees.
- Delegation of authority.
- Establishing co-ordinating relationships.
- Manpower planning.
- Recruitment for attracting suitable number of potential employees.
- Selection and training.
- Transfer promotion and lay off.
- Training and Development of employees.
- Measurement of performance against predetermined goals.
- Identification of the deviation.
- Corrective action to rectify the deviation.